Thursday, October 23, 2008

Politics and Clothing

Sarah P. is taking heat for spending Republican campaign money for fancy and pricey duds from very upscale clothiers.
As a old geezer who has memories of politics of many years past, I was reminded of "Dirty Dick" Nixon and his famous "Checkers" speech during the 1952 Presidential campaign.

I specifically remembered a portion of the speech concerning clothing and his wife Pat.

"Well, that's about it. That's what we have. And that's what we owe. It isn't very much. But Pat and I have the satisfaction that every dime that we've got is honestly ours. I should say this, that Pat doesn't have a mink coat. But she does have a respectable Republican cloth coat, and I always tell her she'd look good in anything."

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/richardnixoncheckers.html

Political junkies should read this. Not much changes.

No comments: