Thursday, August 28, 2008

MINE EYES HAVE SEEN

I am white and 75 years old.

I grew up in a small town in rural Virginia where Jim Crow laws were in full effect and rigorously enforced.

Public drinking fountains labeled "WHITE ONLY". Schools, "SEPARATE BUT EQUAL". Movie theaters, "NEGROS BALCONY ONLY". And, much more than many of you would believe.

In my late teens, I lived in a very old house in a small town in upstate New York. Try to imagine the journey from the rural south to this house. It had been a station on the "Underground Railroad" that gave runaway slaves shelter and sustenance on their way to Canada. Now, as I understand, there is a historical marker sign in front of this house describing it's history.

Something has occured that is hard to believe would happen in my lifetime. My party, the Democratic Party, has nominated for President of the United States, a person of color.

We shall overcome.

We must overcome.

 

No comments: